Expression of Interest: Community-Based Climate Monitoring Interns
The NunatuKavut Community Council (NCC) is accepting expressions of interest from youth ages 14 -29 who are interested in climate change and want to gain experience in collecting data as part of a community base monitoring program in NunatuKavut. We are looking for interns from the following communities: Cartwright, Charlottetown, Happy Valley – Goose Bay, Mary’s Harbour and Port Hope Simpson. Work will be part-time and hours are flexible.
NunatuKavut means “our ancient land” and refers to the territory of Inuit who reside primarily in south and central Labrador. NCC is a rights-based governing body that represents NunatuKavut Inuit. We are a dynamic, fast-paced and growing team that strives to meet the priorities, interests and needs of our people. Our governing vision demonstrates commitment to community and culture as we seek “to govern ourselves, provide and care for one another, our families and our communities while nurturing our relationship with our lands and waters.” We foster an open and transparent working environment which incorporates Inuit values of caring, fairness, respect, accountability and teamwork.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Collection of environmental samples (measurements of sea and freshwater ice, sea and freshwater levels, and water temperatures) with the assistance of NCC staff.
- Recording of direct field observations and maintenance of field notes.
- Assist NCC staff in collection of the Indigenous Traditional Knowledge.
- Data entry as required.
Skills and Qualifications
- Enthusiasm about community-based monitoring.
- Ability to work effectively as a team.
- Flexibility to work evening/weekends when necessary.
- General computer skills in use of email and Microsoft Word and Excel programs.
- Access to a snowmobile. Use of transport will be compensated.
How to Apply
If you are interested in working on this project, please submit a cover letter with a paragraph describing why climate monitoring is important to you to Charlene Kippenhuck at email@example.com. Deadline to apply is December 7, 2020.