Expression of Interest: NunatuKavut Artist for Mural Design in East Block Lobby of Confederation Building
The Government of Newfoundland and Labrador (GNL) is interested in acquiring Indigenous murals for the East Block Lobby of Confederation Building. The NunatuKavut Community Council (NCC) is seeking interest from an Inuk artist from NunatuKavut who is able to design and fabricate a mural for permanent installation in the East Block Lobby of Confederation Building, depicting the people of NunatuKavut; and who NCC may recommend, as a result of this Expression of Interest (EOI), to GNL for that purpose.
Each EOI will be evaluated as outlined below.
Each EOI must describe in detail how the scope of work/deliverables will be achieved.
NCC reserves the right to engage with artists to verify, clarify and supplement any information submitted in an EOI.
The artist submitting the most suitable EOI may subsequently be invited to enter into a contract for the work described herein by GNL. There is no obligation on GNL to enter into any such contract.
Scope of Work
- The design and fabrication of artwork for a mural that would be suitable for permanent installation in a a 5 ft X 5ft space on the wall in the lobby of the Confederation Building in St. John’s (photo of space in APPENDIX A). Area is about 25 square feet. There are six such areas, but the Mural will occupy only one of those areas.
- The artwork can be designed and constructed using a variety of mediums, ie. metal, copper, fabric, seal skin, fur, canvas, etc. It must represent the culture and way of life of NunatuKavut Inuit and include material suitable for permanent installation.
Proposals will clearly articulate how the artist will execute the scope of work required, and will demonstrate that the artist has the experience and qualifications needed to complete the work. EOIs must contain the following:
Contact information: provide the artist’s legal name, mailing address, phone number and email address.
Qualifications: provide a description of the artist’s relevant qualifications and experience with relevant past projects.
Approach: provide the artist’s methodology and approach to planning and completing this project, including renderings of proposed artwork.
Workplan: detail the steps involved in undertaking the tasks described in the scope of work and include a proposed task-based timeline for project execution listing key deliverables.
Budget: Provide a detailed budget, including materials, travel, HST (if applicable) and other expenses.
Evaluation of Proposals
a. The objective of the evaluation process is to identify the artist, alone or in collaboration with other members of the NCC, that most effectively achieve the matters set out in the section entitled Scope and Work/ Deliverables
b. An Evaluation Committee will evaluate all proposals. The process will include a review and check of the information contained in the proposals, and may include discussions with proponents.
c. NCC reserves the right to recommend to GNL one or none of the potential artists who submit a proposal in response to this EOI.
d. Each artist in submitting a response to this EOI agrees that the artist shall not take any legal action of any nature or kind arising from a good faith exercise by the NCC of any decision or discretion under this EOI.
e. Should NCC decide not to accept any proposal, all artists will be given written notice of such decision.
f. Any NCC recommendation under this EOI to GNL does not oblige GNL to enter into ta contract with the recommended artist.
All proposals will be evaluated using the following criteria:
- Professional planning qualifications, knowledge and experience for this project.
- Depth of experience in completing projects of a similar nature.
- Demonstrated creative approaches to meeting planning challenges
- Demonstrated, clear understanding of project objectives
- Clear work plan
- Ability to deliver a quality end product.
- Estimated cost of work
All requests for clarification must be received in writing to the Strategic Communications Lead at least 10 working days prior to the closing date to allow written clarification to all interested artists. Verbal responses are not binding to either party.
A PDF version of the proposal should be received, physically or via email, at the address below no later than Friday, March 4, 2022, 4:30 p.m. AST.
NunatuKavut Community Council
200 Kelland Drive
PO Box 460, Stn C
Happy Valley-Goose Bay, NL A0P 1C0
ATTENTION: Kelly Broomfield (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For more information, please contact Kelly Broomfield at 709-280-5965 or email@example.com
General Terms and Conditions
NCC reserves the right to amend or supplement the EOI, giving equal information and cooperation by way of issued addenda to all proponents as a result of any such amendment.
- Material, data and information accessed or provided by NCC and used in the preparation of the proposal is confidential and the property of NCC.
- All costs incurred in the preparation and presentation of proposals in any way whatsoever shall be wholly absorbed by the artist. NCC shall not be liable to reimburse any of the artist’s costs for any reason.
- NCC is not bound to award a contract or make a recommendation in response to any EOI submitted. All EOIs will be assessed in light of the evaluation criteria. There shall be no obligation to receive further information, whether in writing or oral, from any proponent. There shall be no obligation in any manner to any artist whatsoever.
- Preference will be accorded to artists that reside in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- An artist that submits a proposal to NCC may withdraw or amend its proposal at any time prior to the closing date by advising NCC that the artist is withdrawing or amending its proposal. In the case of an amendment, the artist shall submit the amended proposal in a sealed envelope or package labeled “Amended Proposal” to the NCC not later than the Closing Date.
- The last proposal received by NCC on or before the Closing Date shall supersede any proposal previously submitted by that proponent.
- All terms and conditions of this EOI document are acceptable by an artist upon submission of a response.
- Once a decision has been made, the successful artist will be notified by NCC. NCC will treat all proposals with strict confidentiality and comparative information on proposals will not be divulged except where required by law.
- Artists shall not issue any news releases or make an announcement concerning the EOI or the decision of same without the written consent of NCC, and then only in coordination with NCC.
- Artists, their team members and their respective directors, officers, employees, consultants, agents, advisors and representatives will not engage in any form of lobbying whatsoever in relation to this EOI, including for the purpose of influencing the outcome of the process.
- In the event of any lobbying or communication in contravention of the above paragraph, NCC, in its sole and absolute discretion, may at any time, but will not be required to, reject any and all proposals submitted by that artist without further consideration or compensation.
Photo depicting space where murals will be installed (over wooden panels).