Job Opportunity: Chief Elections Officer
Competition Number: NCC012120EO
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer of the NunatuKavut Community Council (NCC), the Chief Elections Officer will be responsible for implementation of NCC’s 2020 general election process. The tentative period of employment for this temporary position will be from February 10 to June 12, 2020.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Chief Elections Officer would be responsible for implementing the Elections Process under the authority of the NunatuKavut Constitution, Bylaws and Governance Policies and in accordance with an approved Elections Manual. Main duties would include:
- Overseeing all aspects of NCC’s election, ensuring a fair and democratic process.
- Ensuring all eligible voters have access to the electoral system.
- Enforcing all rules and deadlines as outlined in the election bylaws and policies.
- Providing unbiased information, guidance and supervision.
- Posting all public notices in accordance with directives.
- Preparing/adjusting forms.
- Overseeing and maintaining membership list of eligible voters.
- Overseeing nomination process.
- Implementing security measures as required for the protection of information, assets, staff and the general public at the returning office and at polling stations.
- Overseeing preparation and logistical distribution of ballots, poll books and ballot boxes.
- Recruiting, training and overseeing other elections staff.
- Receiving and preparing count of ballots.
- Overseeing requested vote recount process.
- Handling any complaints by candidates and/or voting members using absolute discretion.
- Preparing and posting final election results.
- Overseeing termination of all election materials.
- Providing public education and information of NCC’s electoral process and systems.
- Assisting in creating public awareness of NCC’s 2020 election.
Post-secondary training in Business or Public Policy Administration or a related field. Previous training and employment in Elections Processes would be an asset. Equivalent combination of experience and training will be acceptable. Must provide certificate of conduct.
Preference may be given to qualified members of the NunatuKavut Community Council.
How to Apply
Please submit resume, cover letter stating competition number and three references to:
Maryjane Dyson, Human Resources Manager
NunatuKavut Community Council
In Person: 200 Kelland Drive, Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Labrador
Deadline for applications is 4:30 p.m. AST on January 21, 2020.