Job Opportunity: Manager, Research, Education and Culture
Competition Number NCCRECM111819
The NunatuKavut Community Council (NCC) is seeking a Manager for its Research, Education and Culture (REC) department with a special focus on advancing strategic direction in research and education. Working under the direction of the Director, the Manager will be responsible for providing high-level management functions to the Department. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a commitment to professionalism and fostering relationships, while providing tangible results.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide high-level human, administrative, health and safety functions to the REC department in collaboration with NCC’s Chief Executive Officer and program directors.
- Lead and manage the operations of the REC department, through the management of resources and supports.
- Work closely with NCC in the implementation of policy, programs and strategic plans.
- Assist in leading and coordinating research files and initiatives, particularly in the areas of clean energy and climate change.
- Provide financial management including, analysis, budget monitoring, and reporting.
- Participate in making recommendations to senior management on policy matters.
- Liaise with departmental managers and staff to address operational issues of the department such as: HR and staffing, program and policy initiatives, financial and administrative responsibilities, etc.
- Participate in the building of partnerships with Indigenous organizations and government agencies/departments.
- Provide frontline leadership and supervision to employees of the department
- Demonstrate a commitment to NCC’s employee values and policies.
- Provide leadership in innovation and guide change management.
- Liaise with NCC Management, Government and other stakeholders in the promotion of NCC’s vision and strategic direction.
Skills and Qualifications
- Successful completion of a Master’s Degree in either the natural or social sciences and a minimum of five years management experience; or an acceptable combination of education, training and experience.
- Knowledge of Indigenous histories and studies.
- Experience in strategic planning, development and implementation, as well as coordinating and overseeing events and activities.
- Experience in relationship building with stakeholders and various levels of government.
- Strong problem-solving, communication, report writing and presentation skills, as well as organizational, interpersonal and analytical skills.
- Experience in writing and reviewing literature reviews, environmental scans, etc.
- Experience in research and writing.
- Financial/budget management experience is essential.
- Must have proficient computing skills using MS office, presentations software, social media and other relevant software.
- Ability to work effectively as a team and self-starter when working independently.
- Progressively responsible management experience is essential and must include supervisory experience.
- Experience working with Indigenous groups an asset.
- Class 5 driver’s license and personal vehicle.
- May be required to travel.
- Preference may be given to qualified members of NCC.
In addition to your education and experience, you must demonstrate well-honed competencies in the following areas:
Strategic thinking: Ability to think outside the box with a broad scale, long-term view to assess options and implications related to the strategic direction of NCC and the REC department.
Mobilizing People: Inspire, motivate and create a common sense of purpose in others.
Results-Oriented: set and accomplish goals and priorities to deliver outcomes consistent with NCC direction.
How to Apply
Please submit cover letter and resume (including three references), stating competition number, to the HR Manager by:
P O Box 460, Station C
Happy Valley-Goose Bay, NL. A0P 1C0
NCC Head Office, 200 Kelland Drive, Happy Valley-Goose Bay (to the attention of the HR Manager) firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications is November 18, 2019.
Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.