National Indigenous Peoples Day in NunatuKavut
National Indigenous Peoples Day is a time to celebrate the great contributions of Indigenous peoples in Canada!
In honour of this day, NCC has released the colouring sheet below. This sheet has been distributed to schools across NunatuKavut. Grades K-6 students have been invited to colour the page and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 22, 2023 for a chance to win one of two prizes:
- a youth Inuit drum or
- a box of NCC-published books from our Research, Education and Culture department!
Our thanks to Kayla at Big Land Design for working with us to create the perfect colouring page that reflects life in NunatuKavut.
What’s happening across NunatuKavut during National Indigenous Peoples Day?
Please note, all events are happening on June 21, 2023 unless otherwise noted.
- Cartwright (Sandwich Bay Community Hub) *event was held on June 16*
- Activities for all ages
- Youth drumming performance
- This event was sponsored by NCC’s George Roberts Community Grants Program
- Charlottetown (Recreation Centre) starting at 5:30 p.m.
- Community supper
- Stage will be set up for anyone wanting to share their talents via storytelling, song, skit, etc.
- Port Hope Simpson (Museum)
- Senior’s brunch, 11:00 a.m.
- Kid’s soccer at the playground, 2:00 p.m.
- Fun run/walk starting and ending at the Museum, 4:00 p.m.
- Family mug up featuring live entertainment, traditional food, prizes and more, 5:00 p.m.
- Petting Zoo featuring goats, ducks and rabbits, 6:00 p.m.
- This event has been sponsored by NCC’s George Roberts Community Grants Program
- Mary’s Harbour (REC centre) starting at 6:00 p.m.
- Sit down meal of Fish n’ Brewis
- Live entertainment by local musicians
- Labrador West (Labrador West Indigenous Service Centre) from 3:00 – 6:00 p.m.
- kullik lighting
- Inuit drumming
- Guest speakers
- Food and traditional games
- Upper Lake Melville (College of the North Atlantic gymnasium) from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- Fun for the whole family
- Hosted by the Labrador Friendship Centre, sponsored in part by NCC