NunatuKavut sets new date for 2020 general election
HAPPY VALLEY-GOOSE BAY, LABRADOR, July 9, 2020 – The NunatuKavut Community Council (NCC) today announced that the election of a new Governing Council will now be held on September 29, 2020.
In response to the continued uncertainty around the COVID-19 global pandemic, NCC will be introducing an online process for the upcoming election. This means that members will have the option to vote electronically or by telephone. Computer kiosks may also be available in NunatuKavut communities for voters who have access challenges and support will be available for those requiring assistance. The election will follow all public health directives in place at that time while ensuring a process that is safe, accountable, democratic and inclusive.
Further details will be announced once the elections office is up and running.
- The Governing Council seats up for election includes the President, Councillors representing NCC’s designated areas and a Youth Councillor. The Elder position is appointed by the new Governing Council following the election.
- A new seat has been added to the 2020 election to represent Full Members – Non-Resident (those living outside of the designated areas in Labrador). This was passed through a resolution during NCC’s 2019-20 Annual General Assembly process. Full members – Non-Resident also have an opportunity to vote on the President’s seat.
- NCC is the representative governing body for approximately 6,000 Inuit who reside primarily in south and central Labrador.
- NunatuKavut means “Our Ancient Land” in Inuttitut and is the traditional territory of the Inuit who belong to this territory.
- In July 2018, NCC entered into talks with the Government of Canada on the Recognition of its Indigenous Rights and Self-Determination (RIRSD). In September 2019, a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was signed.
- For further information on NCC, please visit www.nunatukavut.ca. Please also join in the conversation at Facebook.com/nunatukavut and Twitter @nunatukavut.
Kelly Broomfield, Director of Communications, 709-280-5965