Ice Fishing Guidelines
Ice fishing season opens March 1 for the Straits and February 1 for rest of Labrador.
Trout (includes speckled trout and ouananiche)
- Daily bag limit/size restrictions is 12 fish; this can be a combination of any of the species (speckled or ouananiche). If you are opting to catch 12 fish, each fish can not be more than 0.4lb
- 5 pounds + 1 fish of any of those species, whichever is reached first.
As an example: you can have two fish at 2.5lb each, and one 3lb fish, or 12 fish that are 0.4lb or smaller.
- No ouananiche less than 20 centimeters (8 inches) can be retained.
- Possession Limit is 24 fish or 4.5kg plus 1 fish
Further information on the provincial guidelines, including daily limits for other species, can be found here.
NCC Fishing Provisions:
- Angling for Trout and Char is permitted at any time of the year in tidal waters. Angling for Trout and Char in inland waters is permitted in accordance with the Laws of General Application.
- Angling for Atlantic salmon is permitted in accordance with conditions outlined in the Integrated Atlantic Salmon Management Plan and the Laws of General Application.
- In inland waters, fish may only be taken by means of angling.
- The daily bag limit for Trout/Char taken by angling in tidal waters is twelve (12) fish.
*ice fishing is typically in inland waters
For more information or clarification, please contact:
T: (709) 960-0407