We are hiring a Communications Officer!
Competition number NCCCA061423
The NunatuKavut Community Council (NCC) is accepting applications for the position of Communications Officer, located in Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Labrador. The successful applicant will support both internal and external communications initiatives. This position will report to the Manager of Communications under the direction of the Chief Communications Officer.
NunatuKavut means “our ancient land” and refers to the territory of Inuit who reside primarily in south and central Labrador. NCC is a rights-based governing body that represents NunatuKavut Inuit. We are a dynamic, fast-paced and growing team that strives to meet the priorities, interests and needs of our people. Our governing vision demonstrates commitment to community and culture as we seek “to govern ourselves, provide and care for one another, our families and our communities while nurturing our relationship with our lands and waters.” We foster an open and transparent working environment which incorporates Inuit values of caring, fairness, respect, accountability and teamwork.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with NCC departments on the development of communications materials
- Monitor media and stay informed of relevant governmental announcements
- Develop a variety of communications products, ex. news releases, speaking notes, fact sheets, annual report, posters, presentations, etc.
- Ensure all content clearly communicates and supports NCC’s brand and messaging
- Assist in the coordination of event planning and implementation
- Document community events and activities through photos and videos
- Maintain and organize a photo and video library
- Work with NCC’s Language Program Coordinator to incorporate Inuttitut into communications products, where appropriate
- Assist with updating NCC’s website and social media channels
- Travel for various meetings and events
- Other related duties, as assigned
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communications skills (both written and verbal)
- Energetic, dynamic, creative and adaptable
- Ability to understand, analyze, and write about complex information
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Experience in managing multiple projects and priorities
- Close attention to detail and ability to edit and proofread
- Good problem-solving skills is essential
- Experience in graphic design
- Adept at using various computer software applications such as MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Photography experience is an asset
- Experience in using graphic design software is an asset, i.e. Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Must have valid driver’s license
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Post-secondary education in Business, Communications, Public Relations or Journalism preferred, along with two to five years of experience in a related field or an acceptable combination of education and experience.
Preference will be given to qualified members of NunatuKavut Community Council.
Salary is in accordance with NCC’s pay scales.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit resume, cover letter stating competition number and three references to:
Deadline for applications is June 29, 2023.