We are hiring a Fisheries Steward/Observer
The NunatuKavut Community Council Inc (NCC) is seeking applications for a Fisheries Steward position in the Charlottetown/Pinsent’s Arm area. The successful candidate will be working to collect and document fisheries related activity along the south coast of Labrador for NCC. Tentative start date June 29, 2020.
NunatuKavut means “our ancient land” and refers to the territory of Inuit who belong to south and central Labrador. NCC is a rights-based governing body that represents NunatuKavut Inuit. We are a dynamic, fast-paced and growing team that strives to meet the priorities, interests and needs of our people. Our vision demonstrates commitment to community and culture as we seek “to govern ourselves by providing and caring for one another, our families, and our communities while nurturing our relationship with our land, ice, and waters.” We foster an open and transparent working environment which incorporates Inuit values of caring, fairness, respect, accountability and teamwork.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Collect and preserve salmonid (and possibly cod samples) during the NCC Communal Fishery;
- Document information from NCC harvested fish;
- May assist in the distribution of communal fishing tags/designations;
- Encourage NCC members to return and assist with the collection of Catch Logs from designates;
- Assist with other fisheries monitoring and assessment surveys;
- Documenting observations of other species of interest (i.e. Striped Bass); and
- Other duties related to ENR initiatives.
Skills and Qualifications
The ideal candidate should possess the following skills or competencies:
- Good communication and organization skills;
- Work well independently and with people;
- Be willing to work flexible hours during the fishing season;
- Experienced and comfortable in small boats; and
- A good knowledge of local areas is essential.
A combination of Natural Resources training and field experience as asset.
Preference may be given to qualified members of the NunatuKavut Community Council.
How to Apply
The deadline for applications is 4:00 p.m. on Friday, June 19, 2020. Please submit resume, cover letter (stating competition number) and three references to:
Director of Human Resources
NunatuKavut Community Council Inc.
Please note that only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.