We’re hiring General Community Workers (Elder Support)
Competition number NCCGCW040523
NunatuKavut Community Council (NCC) is seeking applications for (MULTIPLE) General Community – Elder Assistance Workers in various communities throughout NunatuKavut. These are eight-week term positions. The candidates will work with the team in the provision of basic and essential general services identified as part of NCC’s COVID-19 strategic response for elders, families, and individuals in need.
NunatuKavut means “our ancient land” and refers to the territory of Inuit who belong to south and central Labrador. NCC is a rights-based governing body that represents NunatuKavut Inuit. We are a dynamic, fast-paced, and growing team that strives to meet the priorities, interests and needs of our people. Our governing vision demonstrates commitment to community and culture as we seek “to govern ourselves, providing and caring for one another, our families and our communities while nurturing our relationship with our lands and waters.” We foster an open and transparent working environment which incorporates Inuit values of caring, fairness, respect, accountability, and teamwork.
The positions and competition numbers are:
- Full time
- St Lewis COMPETITION # NCCGCW-SL040523 (FT)
- Mary’s Harbour/Lodge Bay COMPETITION # NCCGCW-MH040523 (FT) -Two positions
- Straits COMPETITION # NCCGCW-ST040523 (FT)
- Charlottetown COMPETITION # NCCGCW-CT040523 (FT)
Roles and Responsibilities
Provide general assistance as identified as part of NCC’s COVID-19 response initiative
- Delivery of goods and services for seniors and other vulnerable persons, assisting in duties related to light household chores, pickup and delivery of grocery items, supplies to and from the clinic, pharmacy, mail, assisting with property clean up, etc.
- Delivery of essential services such as fuel, water and firewood – may include carrying and storing wood (no requirement to operate chainsaw or other power tools)
- Promote traditional hunting and fishing.
- May assist with basic shoveling; such as doorways and walkways.
- Promote safe and healthy communities.
- Provide logistical and technical support to NCC as needed in the delivery of services to the community.
- Assist with social activities for seniors and other vulnerable persons in the community.
- Other duties related to NCC’s COVID-19 Community Response strategy.
Skills and Qualifications
The ideal candidate should possess the following skills or competencies:
- A good sense of community and good community knowledge.
- Knowledge of local area and traditional practices.
- Good communication and organization skills is essential.
- Ability to get along and work collaboratively with others.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours.
How to Apply
Please submit resume, cover letter and three references to:
Chelsea Dyson, HR Coordinator
NunatuKavut Community Council
In Person: 200 Kelland Drive, Happy Valley-Goose Bay, NL
Application deadline is April 12, 2023.
Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Preference may be given to qualified members of NunatuKavut Community Council.